Help With a Federal Agency

Casework Overview

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the 17th Congressional District of Texas can contact us for assistance in dealing with federal agencies.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security Number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number, if you have one, or a Social Security Number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.

We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request

Find an Agency

Common areas of assistance include immigrant visa petitions and naturalization applications processed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The USCIS website has information on every type of form, addresses for offices, information on fee changes, and a section where you can order forms online or through the mail.

On the USCIS website, you can use the Case Status Online page to track the status of an immigration application, petition, or request. Also, you can use the Processing Times page that the USCIS provides to further track your case.

Submit DHS Casework Request Online


fill out and email, mail, or fax the privacy form below and any relevant materials to the district office that serves your area. Sign the USCIS privacy release form in ink.

Common areas of assistance include passports, international travel, and intercountry adoptions.

Passports are handled by the U.S. Department of State (DOS). You can find the most up to date information on how to apply for or renew a passport on the DOS website. If you need a passport or your passport is under six months from expiring before travel, we recommend submitting your paperwork as soon as possible.

For further passport information, please review Frequently Asked Questions.

Submit DOS Casework Request Online

Common areas of assistance include Veteran Affairs (VA) healthcare issues, veteran disability benefits, and GI Bill benefits.

The VA website has all up to date information on all VA forms, veteran benefit recources, and healthcare. If you need help finding the closest VA location to you, use their locator tool.

Important Note: To ensure casework inquiries are fullfilled expediently, please include your Social Security Number (SSN) when completing the digital and downloadable privacy release form. 

Submit VA Casework Request Online


E-mail, mail or fax the veteran intake form below and any relevant materials to the district office that serves your area.

Common areas of assistance include tax returns, economic impact payments, and child tax credit advance payments.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website has information on every type of form and document pertaining to American taxpayers. Using their website you can file taxes, inquire about tax refund status, pay an outstanding balance, access your IRS account, and more.

Submit IRS Casework Request Online

Common areas of assistance include Social Security retirement, Medicare enrollment, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSDI and SSI are both types of disability benefits with different eligibility criteria.

Social Security is part of the retirement plan for almost every American worker. It provides replacement income for qualified retirees and their families. Visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) website to enroll in Medicare, SSDI, or SSI benefits. 

For further retirement information, please visit the Retirement page on the SSA website. 

Submit SSA Casework Request Online

Use either privacy release form below to submit a casework request with any federal agency that is not listed below.

Submit A Casework Request Online


You may mail or fax the privacy form below and any relevant materials to the district office that serves your area.