Service Academy Nominations
I appreciate your interest in a nomination to one of our nation’s service academies! One of the privileges of serving in the United States House of Representatives is the opportunity to nominate exceptional young men and women from Texas' 17th Congressional District to be considered for appointment to our nation’s service academies. If appointed, you will represent Texas, and ultimately the greatest country in the world. These nominations and appointments are highly competitive. Each year, the best and the brightest compete for this prestigious opportunity. Therefore, I highly recommend that you refine all areas with the highest standards of preparation. Good luck and God bless! - Congressman Pete Session
Academy Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements established by law:
- US Citizen
- Legal Resident of Texas' 17th Congressional District. Military dependents are required by law to apply for a nomination in their legal domicile.
- At Least 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age by July 1 of the year of admission
- Unmarried with no legal obligation to support a child or other dependents
- Meet the physical, medical, and academic requirements of the Academy
*Please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
The opportunity of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY - www.usma.edu
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD - www.usna.edu
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO - www.usafa.edu
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY - www.usmma.edu
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT - www.uscga.edu
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Other Official Sources for an Academy nomination:
- Vice President: www.whitehouse.gov/service-academy-nominations/
- Texas Senator John Cornyn: www.cornyn.senate.gov
- Texas Senator Ted Cruz: www.cruz.senate.gov
Congressman Sessions may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.