Shortly after the September 11, 2012, attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead - including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens - several House committees began investigating the Administration’s inadequate response. There are five standing committees with jurisdiction over the events in Benghazi: House Oversight and Government Reform, Foreign Affairs, Armed Services, Intelligence, and Judiciary.
Collectively, these five committees have the expertise, necessary resources, legal means, and security clearances to process information and documents from every aspect of this investigation. An interim progress report of House Republicans’ ongoing investigations into the Benghazi attacks was released on April 23, 2013. You can access the report here - http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Libya-Progress-Report-Final-1.pdf.
Since the Obama Administration has failed to provide sufficient answers regarding the attack, I believe that further committee investigation is required to gain full and truthful answers. The Committees remain determined to establish a comprehensive understanding of the attacks and continue to aggressively investigate the events surrounding the attacks. Congress and the American people have still not been told the full story regarding Benghazi and I will support every effort to uncover the truth.
Below I have highlighted the most recent hearings that have been held in the House, as well as an overview of the House’s action on Benghazi throughout the past year.
• Foreign Affairs Committee: “Benghazi: Where is the State Department Accountability?” (9/18 at 9:00am CT)
- Watch the archived hearing here: http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/hearing/hearing-benghazi-where-state-department-accountability
• Oversight & Government Reform Committee: “Reviews of the Benghazi Attack and Unanswered Questions” (9/19 at 8:30am CT)
- Watch the archived hearing here: http://oversight.house.gov/hearing/reviews-of-the-benghazi-attacks-and-unanswered-questions/
• Armed Services Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations: “DoD’s posture for 9/11/2013: What are the Lessons of Benghazi?” (9/19 at 2:30pm CT)
- Watch the archived hearing here: http://armedservices.house.gov/index.cfm/hearings-display?ContentRecord_id=2ad1e930-5ac3-43d3-b061-24de19c512c9&ContentType_id=14f995b9-dfa5-407a-9d35-56cc7152a7ed&Group_id=13e47ffa-0753-47a7-ad5e-1ba7592015c9
Summary of All Benghazi Committee Activities:
• 7 Full Committee Hearings
• 19 Classified Briefings
• 31 Official Letters of Inquiry
• 7 Member interviews of DoD and Department of State officials involved in the U.S. response to the attacks